There is a website that is so much fun I just have to send you to it: www.oldlutheran.com This is a fun and amazing website, all of the Lutheran denominations in America advertise items on it from time to time (like commemorative t-shirts, etc), and it has a wonderfully Lutheran sense of humor. This site is very proud to be Lutheran (“but not too proud”). If you liked Scandinavian Humor (And Other Myths) or Lutheran Church Basement Women: Lutefisk, Lefse, Lunch, and Jell-O you will love the Old Lutheran website.
To illustrate my point: since Reformation Day is coming up on October 31 (although Holy Trinity will celebrate Reformation on Sunday, October 27) it’s time to dust off the recipe for the Famous Lutheran “Diet of Worms Cake.”
To Make this Cake you will need:
1-16 oz pkg Oreo sandwich cookies
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 C. confectioner’s sugar
1/4 C. butter, softened (Only love beats butter)
2 (4 oz) pkgs instant vanilla pudding mix
3-1/2 C. cold milk
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed
1 pkg gummy worms
1 new 8-10 inch flowerpot
Silk Flowers (optional)
1. Process cookies in blender or food processor until finely crushed.
2. Beat cream cheese, confectioners sugar and butter in mixer bowl until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
3. Combine pudding mix and milk in a bowl, stirring until blended. Fold into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
4. Layer cookie crumbs and pudding mixture alternately in new 8-10 inch flowerpot until all ingredients are used, ending with cookie crumbs. Chill for 2-10 hours.
5. Decorate with silk flowers and gummy worms.
(Is this a hoot or what?)